The Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP) is accepting articles for The Ohio Family Physician (TOFP), a quarterly magazine with a print and digital distribution of more than 7,000 family physicians, family medicine residents, and medical student members in Ohio.
The fall issue’s theme is Health Myths. The OAFP would like physicians to write about their experiences with patients as it relates to misinformation, scope of practice, and instances of incorrect medical practices, such as race-based medicine.
If you or someone you know is interested in having an article published, please contact Communications Coordinator Lauren Heberling no later than Monday, June 27, with an intended article topic. The deadline for submitting articles is Wednesday, July 6. Space is limited and articles will be accepted at the discretion of the editorial team on a first-come-first-served basis.
Please review the Editorial Schedule & Author Guidelines for details on the accepted article types and eligibility criteria.
- General interest articles should be approximately 600 words in length. Clinical articles may be as long as 900 words.
- The content should relate to the interests of family physicians, family medicine residents, and medical students with an interest in family medicine. If you are uncertain about the suitability of your material, please review past issues on the OAFP website, contact Lauren, or call 800.742.7327.
- Articles on controversial topics will be judged individually on their merits. The editor reserves the right to accept or reject individual contributions in the interest of the readership, space availability, and good taste. The editor also may revise copy with these considerations in mind.
- When composing your article, please write in plain English and avoid jargon, complexity, and passive sentences as much as possible. Organize your thoughts logically and simply. All abbreviations should be written out prior to initial use. All articles that contain factual statements should cite supporting references on a separate reference sheet.
- Review and proofread your material to perfect both the content and word choice. Prior to submitting the article, it is helpful to have someone else review your copy for readability and accuracy.
- When submitting your article, please include your completed TOFP Author Information Form.
Please contact Lauren with questions or for additional information.