The OAFP Foundation is pleased to sponsor the following awards:
Family Physician Mentorship Award
This award recognizes a community-based Ohio family physician who, as a preceptor, has exhibited exemplary qualities/characteristics of mentorship excellence.
Nominations for the 2021 award are open. The nomination deadline is Thursday, July 1.
- A nominee must be a community-based Ohio family physician preceptor who is not a fully affiliated, paid faculty member of a medical school
- The Foundation’s Leroy A. Rodgers, MD, Preceptorship Program family physician preceptors are eligible for nomination, but nominations are not limited to those program preceptors.
- Has been in practice more than three years
- Preference given to OAFP members.
Award recipient will be chosen based on the demonstration of the following criteria:
- Is an outstanding community-based Ohio family physician mentor/preceptor role model
- Provided encouragement and constructive feedback
- Provided guidance for individual’s career goals, career planning, and growth
- Helped individual through personal exploration and identification of core values
- Provided a close, supportive, and collaborative relationship
- Provided advice and skills development
Ohio medical school departments of family medicine, family medicine interest group advisors, medical students, and residents are encouraged to nominate preceptors who have demonstrated exemplary precepting skills.
Individuals who have been nominated but not selected in the past can be nominated in subsequent years. The top three physicians who were nominated but not selected for the current year’s award will automatically be considered as candidates the following year.Those candidates can only rollover once but can be re-nominated for consideration beginning the process anew.
To nominate an individual, please send a letter of nomination that addresses award criterion to:
Foundation Family Physician Mentorship Award
4075 North High St.
Columbus, OH 43214-3296
Nominations must be received by Thursday, July 1.
2009 – Linda Stone, MD
2010 – Rob Crane, MD
2015 – Stephen Ulrich, MD
2016 – Shelley Blackburn, MD
2017 – Chad Garven, MD
2018 – Jaividhya Dasarathy, MD
2019 – Scott J. Anzalone, MD
2020 – Mary E. Krebs, MD, FAAFP.
Ohio Philanthropist of the Year
The Ohio Philanthropist of the Year Award was established in December 1997 by the board of trustees to recognize an individual or individuals with a proven record of exceptional generosity who, through direct financial support, has demonstrated outstanding civic and charitable responsibility, and whose generosity encourages others to take philanthropic leadership roles on a community, national, or international level.
- Evidence of direct gift support to the specialty of family medicine, either through the Foundation or through the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation
- Description of the impact of this gift on the Foundation or the AAFP Foundation
- Evidence of encouragement and motivation given to others to take leadership roles in philanthropy and community involvement
- Description of participation in and gift support of other not-for-profit organizations in the community or internationally
- Evidence of philanthropic support of innovative approaches to solving problems.
Based on the nomination criteria for this award, candidates are typically chosen by the Foundation Board of Trustees. However, if you have a candidate in mind, please contact Director of Foundation & Strategic Programs Kaitlin McGuffie or call 800.742.7327.
1999 – Dr. Mark and Nancy Belfer
2000 – Drs. Ken and Vicki Bertka
2002 – Ted Wymyslo, MD
2003 – Lloyd and Dr. Mary Jo Welker
2004 – Dr. Ron and Glenda Van Buren
2005 – Larry and Dr. Linda Stone
2006 – Dr. Ross and Linda Black
2008 – Elisabeth Righter, MD
2009 – Cathy Bishop, DO
2012 – Dr. Brian and Debra Bachelder
2013 – Sarah Sams, MD
2014 – Dr. Renee Markovich and Richard and Carol Markovich
2015 – Gary LeRoy, MD