The OAFP Foundation (Foundation) is pleased to sponsor the following awards:
Family Physician Mentorship Award
The Foundation is pleased to announce that Anna L. Nelson, MD, of Walbridge, OH, is the recipient of the 2021 Family Physician Mentorship Award.
The Foundation annually presents this award to recognize a community-based Ohio family physician who, as a preceptor, has exhibited exemplary qualities and characteristics of mentorship excellence.
Dr. Nelson is currently associate director at McLaren St. Luke’s Family Medicine Residency program in Perrysburg, OH, where she supervises and mentors family medicine residents on a daily basis. She has led numerous workshops and trainings throughout her years at the residency and is continuously involved with quality improvement projects.
According to her nomination letter submitted by Suchitra Nair, MD, a PGY-1 at her residency, “Dr. Nelson exemplifies qualities of mentorship excellence and has an open-door policy where she is easily approachable. She makes it a priority for us to set short and long-term goals as well as life and residency goals. She has frequent advisee meetings where she provides guidance for our career goals, planning, and growth. More than anything Dr. Nelson has a big heart and cares about teaching the future doctors of America.”
Congratulations, Dr. Nelson!
- A nominee must be a community-based Ohio family physician preceptor who is not a fully affiliated, paid faculty member of a medical school
- The Foundation’s Leroy A. Rodgers, MD, Preceptorship Program family physician preceptors are eligible for nomination, but nominations are not limited to those program preceptors
- Has been in practice more than three years
- Preference given to OAFP members.
Award recipient will be chosen based on the demonstration of the following criteria:
- Is an outstanding community-based Ohio family physician mentor/preceptor role model
- Provided encouragement and constructive feedback
- Provided guidance for individual’s career goals, career planning, and growth
- Helped individual through personal exploration and identification of core values
- Provided a close, supportive, and collaborative relationship
- Provided advice and skills development
Ohio medical school departments of family medicine, family medicine interest group advisors, medical students, and residents are encouraged to nominate preceptors who have demonstrated exemplary precepting skills.
Individuals who have been nominated but not selected in the past can be nominated in subsequent years. The top three physicians who were nominated but not selected for the current year’s award will automatically be considered as candidates the following year. Those candidates can only rollover once, but can be re-nominated for consideration beginning the process anew.
Nominations for the 2022 award will open in the spring of 2022. To nominate an individual, please send a letter of nomination that addresses award criterion to:
Foundation Family Physician Mentorship Award
4075 North High St.
Columbus, OH 43214-3296
2009 – Linda Stone, MD
2010 – Rob Crane, MD
2015 – Stephen Ulrich, MD
2016 – Shelley Blackburn, MD
2017 – Chad Garven, MD
2018 – Jaividhya Dasarathy, MD
2019 – Scott J. Anzalone, MD
2020 – Mary E. Krebs, MD, FAAFP
2021 – Anna L. Nelson, MD.
Ohio Philanthropist of the Year
The Foundation is pleased to announce that Jeffrey D. Bachtel, MD, FAAFP, of Tallmadge, OH, is the recipient of its 2021 Philanthropist of the Year Award.
The Philanthropist of the Year Award was established in December 1997 by the Board of Trustees to recognize an individual or individuals with a proven record of exceptional generosity who, through direct financial support, has demonstrated outstanding civic and charitable responsibility, and whose generosity encourages others to take philanthropic leadership roles on a community, national, or international level.
Dr. Bachtel has been practicing family medicine for over 35 years in his hometown of Tallmadge. Dr. Bachtel’s contributions to the Foundation go beyond his generous individual giving. He has shared his time and talents serving as a trustee from 2010-18. For all but one year of his service, Dr. Bachtel played a vital role in the Foundation’s success serving as treasurer. His dedication to watching over the Foundation’s finances and investments, and his valuable insight and knowledge on all of the fiduciary necessities of a non-profit Board, were key to ensuring a thriving future for the Foundation.
When asked about Dr. Bachtel’s contributions to the Foundation, Foundation Emeritus Trustee Ted Wymyslo, MD, shared, “Much of the current strength and stability of the Foundation is due to the many years of leadership and advice Jeff has provided to the organization. He has been a steady voice of support and knowledgeable guidance on policies and procedures that has allowed the Foundation to grow even during slow economic times nationally.”
Congratulations, Dr. Bachtel!
- Evidence of direct gift support to the specialty of family medicine, either through the Foundation or through the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation
- Description of the impact of this gift on the Foundation or the AAFP Foundation
- Evidence of encouragement and motivation given to others to take leadership roles in philanthropy and community involvement
- Description of participation in and gift support of other not-for-profit organizations in the community or internationally
- Evidence of philanthropic support of innovative approaches to solving problems.
Based on the nomination criteria for this award, candidates are typically chosen by the Foundation Board of Trustees. However, if you have a candidate in mind, please contact Director of Foundation & Strategic Programs Kaitlin McGuffie or call 800.742.7327.
1999 – Dr. Mark and Nancy Belfer
2000 – Drs. Ken and Vicki Bertka
2002 – Ted Wymyslo, MD
2003 – Lloyd and Dr. Mary Jo Welker
2004 – Dr. Ron and Glenda Van Buren
2005 – Larry and Dr. Linda Stone
2006 – Dr. Ross and Linda Black
2008 – Elisabeth Righter, MD
2009 – Cathy Bishop, DO
2012 – Dr. Brian and Debra Bachelder
2013 – Sarah Sams, MD
2014 – Dr. Renee Markovich and Richard and Carol Markovich
2015 – Gary LeRoy, MD