Source: AAFP News Now
By this time, most family physicians are no doubt aware that the Quality Payment Program (QPP) created after passage of MACRA offers two participation tracks: advanced alternative payment models and the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System.
But busy physicians may still have a tough time keeping up with QPP participation rules.
One way to stay up-to-date is to subscribe to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ (CMS) QPP listserv and have the agency’s latest updates delivered straight to your email inbox.
Getting on board is easy; just jump on the QPP website and choose “Subscribe” in the green box at the bottom of the page. Physicians need only input their email address where requested, and they’re all set to receive CMS news they can’t afford to miss.
- New CMS resources and website updates
- CMS training sessions and webinars
- Upcoming milestones and important deadlines not to be missed.
Family physicians need to stay engaged because the clock is ticking on QPP activities that ultimately will affect Medicare payment.
- The first performance period associated with QPP began January 1, 2017, and ends Sunday, December 31.
- Physicians who strive for full participation during this 2017 “transition” year will need to collect 90 consecutive days of data; the last day to start that collection process is Monday, October 2. Other options — test participation and partial participation — also are on the table for physicians’ consideration.
- Regardless of the pace at which physicians participate, the first payment adjustments go into effect on Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
Listserv subscribers will be reminded of all these dates, deadlines and more, so take this important step today.
Lastly, remember that the American Academy of Family Physicians is working in overdrive to crank out meaningful QPP resources that specifically aim to prepare family physicians for the changes that are coming.