On February 11, the State Medical Board of Ohio (SMBO) circulated an initial draft of seven telehealth rules and seeks public input on the rules. Comments can be submitted to Nathan Smith at the SMBO. The deadline for submitting comments is Tuesday, March 1.
- 4731-37-01 Telehealth
- 4731-11-09 Controlled substance and telehealth prescribing .
- 4731-11-09 Prescribing to persons not seen by the physician.
- 4730-1-07 Miscellaneous provisions
- 4730-2-07 Standards for prescribing
- 4759-11-01 Miscellaneous provisions
- 4761-15-01 Miscellaneous provisions
- 4778-1-06 Miscellaneous provisions.
Comments on the proposed rules will be sought several times during the rule-making process. Public input is sought after the SMBO has conducted its initial review of rules, after rules are filed with the Common Sense Initiative Office, and at the public hearing that occurs after the rules are formally filed with the Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review.
The Medical Board’s initial review of rules may result in a proposal to amend current rules, rescind current rules, make no changes to current rules, and/or adopt new rules. Comments received will be reviewed and possibly result in changes to the initially proposed language before the rules are then filed with the Common Sense Initiative Office.
The Ohio Academy of Family Physicians is closely monitoring the telehealth rules making process, participating in stakeholder meetings on the process and providing feedback to the SMBO as needed.