Social determinants of health (SDoH) are the conditions under which people are born, grow, live, work, and age, and include factors such as socioeconomic status, education, employment, social support networks, and neighborhood characteristics. SDoH may be an easy concept to define but difficult to identify among patients, neighbors, and the community at large. It takes the entire medical neighborhood to know how to identify and address SDoH in order to be successful in promoting equitable health outcomes for individuals and populations.
In effort to bring care teams together to tackle the tough issues of SDoH and health equity, the 8th annual Ohio Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative (OPCPCC) conference will address the importance of assessing SDoH as part of the patient-centered medical home (PCMH) model of care to achieve equitable healthcare for all Ohioans. Register today to attend this valuable, statewide program.
When: Friday, November 8, from 8 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
Where: Pinnacle Golf Club (1500 Pinnacle Club Dr., Grove City, OH 43123)
Registration fee: $50 (continental breakfast and lunch included)
Application for continuing medical education has been filed with the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Determination of credit is pending
- Keynote Address: Addressing SDoH in Primary Care Practice: Possibilities and Pitfalls
Presenter: Deena Chisolm, PhD, director of the Center for Innovation in Pediatric Practice and vice president for health services research at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- The EveryONE Project: Advancing Health Equity in Every Community
Presenter: Gary LeRoy, MD, FAAFP, president-elect of the AAFP Board of Directors
- Pathways Community HUB Model: A Whole person Approach to Improving Outcomes
Presenters: Sarah Redding, MD, MPH and Mark Redding MD
- SDoH and the PCMH
Presenter: Kierra Barnett, MPH, graduate research associate at the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity
- Panel Discussion – SDOH and Primary Care – Practical Applications and Resources
Moderator: Jenelle Hoseus, MBA, executive director of the Central Ohio Pathways HUB
- Addressing SDoH from the Payer Perspective
Karin VanZant, MPA , vice president of integrated community partnerships at CareSource
- Addressing the SDoH and Improving Health Outcomes through the Certified Pathways Community HUB Model
Jan L. Ruma, BS, MEd, CFRE – vice president of the Hospital Council of Northwest Ohio, executive director of the Toledo/Lucas County CareNet and/or Carly M. Salamone, MPH, assistant director of the Northwest Ohio Pathways HUB
- Collaborating to Bridge the Divide Between Primary Care Clinics and Social Services in Cuyahoga County
Jonathan Lever, MPH, NRP – program manager of Better Health Partnership, Community Linkage in Cleveland
- The Missing Link: Addressing Health Related Social Needs
Kiana Trabue, MPH — executive director gen—h at The Health Collaborative in Cincinnati.
For questions regarding the conference, please contact Drema Phelps at the Ohio Department of Health or call 614.752.4935.