In a letter dated August 7, the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians enthusiastically supported the appointment of Mike Sevilla, MD, as chair of the American Academy of Family Physicians Commission on Membership and Member Services. Dr. Sevilla has served a four-year term on the commission and is eligible to apply to serve as commission chair in 2018. Commission chair appointments will be announced at the close of the AAFP Congress of Delegates meeting in San Antonio, TX, on Wednesday, September 13.
In his letter of support, OAFP President Ryan Kauffman, MD, stated, “Dr. Sevilla has vast expertise and experience in leading physician groups. He currently serves as speaker of our Members Assembly. In that role, he has brought members to consensus relative to a proposal to modernize our annual meeting format and adapt chapter bylaws revisions to streamline our resolution process so it is more timely and responsive to member needs. Change is difficult especially when change impacts longstanding tradition. Dr. Sevilla led the recommendation process with the grace, openness, and transparency required of a good leader. He has also played many important leadership roles at Salem Community Hospital including chief of staff and member of the board of directors.”
- 2007 National Conference of Special Constituencies conference convener
- 2006 National Conference of Special Constituencies conference chair
- 2004 New physician delegate to the AAFP Congress of Delegates
- Chair, 2006 Planning Committee for the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
- 2001 Resident Delegate to the AAFP Congress
- Member, AAFP Commission on Education (2005-06)
- Member, AAFP Commission on Resident and Student Issues (2003-05)
- Member, AAFP Committee on Resident and Student Affairs (2000-01).
Dr. Sevilla currently serves on the OAFP Board of Directors and has served on the OAFP Foundation Board of Trustees. He earned his medical degree at the Northeast Ohio Medical University in Rootstown, OH, and completed his residency at the Barberton Family Medicine Residency in Barberton, OH.
Good Luck Dr. Sevilla!