The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has extended the shelf life for certain lots of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine by two months. Below, you will find a table with updated expiration dates for the specific lots impacted by the extension. Moderna will continue to update data regarding extension for expired doses. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Moderna website.
Moderna has updated its website feature that allows vaccine providers to look up expiration dates by lot number to include these new expiration dates listed below. To find the expiration date, locate the lot number printed on the carton and/or vial and enter it into the lot number search field on the website, then press “submit.”
The extension is based on ongoing stability data and applies only to vials that were maintained at frozen storage temperatures between minus 50 degrees Celsius to minus 15 degrees Celsius (minus 58 degrees Fahrenheit to 5 degrees Fahrenheit). The extension does NOT apply to thawed vials that were refrigerated. COVID-19 vaccines with an emergency use authorization do not have fixed expiration dates, and the dates can be extended as more stability data is received and analyzed, according to the FDA.
Once thawed, vials can be stored refrigerated between 2 to 8 degrees C (36 to 46 degrees F) for up to 30 days prior to first use.
Moderna Batches that must be Discarded
The following batches of Moderna vaccine are NOT subject to the expiration date extension and should be discarded.
Vaccine providers should follow the steps below to properly discard expired or unusable COVID-19 vaccine:
- Expired COVID-19 vaccines should be removed immediately from storage units to avoid inadvertently administering them.
- Providers should dispose of expired COVID-19 vaccine in accordance with local regulations and processes used to dispose of regulated infectious waste. For more information on disposing of infectious waste, visit the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency website.
If providers have immediate needs for Moderna vaccine for the primary series or booster doses, new orders can be placed through the ImpactSIIS Vaccine Ordering Management System (VOMS) at any time. To ensure adequate inventory levels, providers should anticipate a window of 7 days from the date your order is entered into VOMS to the date the vaccine is delivered to your facility. Orders for products that are shipped directly from the manufacturer will be approved and processed Monday through Friday.
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine: How to look up a vial expiration date
- Administration Overview for Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine | CDC
- Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers Administering Vaccine (Vaccination Providers) and Full Emergency Use Authorization Prescribing Information.
If you have any questions or issues, please call the ODH Provider Call Center between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday at 1.844.9ODHVAX (1.844.963.4829) or email COVIDVACCINE@odh.ohio.gov.