As Ohio’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout continues to evolve, the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) has made some essential updates to guidance for vaccine providers to minimize unused vaccine.
- More flexible guidelines around minimizing unused doses while maximizing vaccination opportunities.
- An overview of clinical best practices regarding storage, temperature, and handling requirements for each vaccine. This includes recently updated guidance that increases the amount of time Pfizer vaccine can be stored at refrigerator temperatures.
- Information about estimating doses and planning vaccinations.
- Information about transferring unused doses.
- Special considerations for vaccinating the homebound.
- Proper disposal of expired or unusable doses.
In addition, ODH has included a link to Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine Standing Orders for Administering Vaccine to persons 12 years of age and older.
Lastly, a reminder that the ODH Provider Call Center hours have changed. The ODH Provider Call Center is open daily from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, and is no longer open on weekends. Please contact the ODH Provider Call Center at 1.844.9ODHVAX (1.844.963.4829) or email COVIDVACCINE@odh.ohio.gov. You also may visit the ODH COVID-19 Vaccine Provider Information Training page for additional information and resources.