Ohio Academy of Family Physicians members and their practice teams have the unique opportunity to take part in the 2017 Quality Improvement (QI) Summit set for Saturday, April 8, in Columbus, OH. Practice teams meet outside of their normal office setting and discuss the importance of effective and efficient teamwork and its impact on patient care and population health as a whole.
In addition, as part of your Family Medicine Certification with the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM), many of you are required to complete at least one performance improvement activity in your 3-year stage. This event and corresponding QI modules will satisfy your ABFM requirement and provide 20 Certification points. In addition, you will earn approximately 25 continuing medical education (CME) credits from the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) for completion of the entire program.
- Register yourself and up to three team members for the QI Summit set for Saturday, April 8. Choose one of four topic tracks that will be your team’s focus:
- Hypertension Management (20 team spots available)
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Improvement (10 team spots available)
- Diabetes Prevention and Management (20 team spots available)
- Breast & Cervical Cancer Prevention and Early Detection (20 team spots available)
- Receive an email from the OAFP staff in March with instructions on how to log into your corresponding online QI module. You will enter practice data, 10 patient charts (the module will explain how to pull these charts), receive an analysis of data that will show any gaps in patient care in relation to your chosen topic, and choose an intervention of change to implement over six months. You’ll then be locked out of the module for six months while you implement your change.
- With your chosen intervention in hand and team members beside you, you’ll attend the QI Summit on Saturday, April 8, at the Hilton Columbus at Easton. You’ll hear from expert speakers on current trends, up-to-date guidelines, and work together as a team in a workflow and process mapping exercise to find gaps in care and plan for more efficient action steps to reach your goal.
- With your action plan in hand, you and your team will head back home to implement it. Don’t worry if it’s not working out exactly as you’ve planned, your action plan is flexible – use the information you gathered during the Summit to edit the plan for success.
- After six months of implementation, you will be reminded to re-enter the online QI module. There, you will enter practice data and 10 patient charts to receive outcomes data. Participants in prior year programs have shown real, positive change in patient care – you will too!
- Once the module is complete, you will receive credit for your second ABFM bucket – a performance improvement activity is now complete. Plus, completion of a performance improvement activity is worth 20 points in the third bucket! You’ll also receive 20 Performance in Practice credits from the AAFP. Not to mention, the OAFP will send you a $250 stipend for all your hard work.
Fill an entire ABFM bucket, add points to another, and earn AAFP credits – all for FREE as a benefit of membership – you can’t go wrong!
Register today – spots are filling up fast!