The Ohio Academy of Family Physicians has created a more efficient system to address members’ issues throughout the year! If you or your regional chapter have an issue you’d like the OAFP to address, please submit a policy/resolution proposal that details the issue, scope, and impact of the proposed change any time during the year.
Your proposal will be received by the OAFP speaker who will work directly with the author to prepare it for discussion by the Board of Directors at its next meeting. Authors of proposals are encouraged to attend the Board meeting to provide personal insight and background on the proposal being considered. The speaker will also notify the regional director that a proposal from a member in their region will be discussed at the next Board meeting.
If the speaker determines that the proposal needs to be addressed before the next Board meeting, the speaker has the authority to bring the proposal before the Executive Committee for deliberation.
Any proposal brought before the Board must have a 30-day notification through regular communication vehicles for comment by the membership.
Once the proposal has been discussed by the Academy’s elected leaders, they may choose one of the following actions:
- Take immediate action and/or create an Academy policy
- Refer the proposal to an OAFP entity to conduct additional research on the issue and then report back to the Board on their findings
- Reaffirm OAFP policy that is already established
- Determine that the issue would be better dealt with at the national level and referred to the American Academy of Family Physicians for consideration
- Not adopt the proposal. If the Board determines that the proposal does not adhere to the mission, purpose, or strategic initiatives of the Academy, the speaker will work with the proposal’s author to refocus its original intent for future proposal submission.
Outcome Communication with Membership
The speaker will communicate, through an official OAFP publication of the Academy, any action taken by the Board or Executive Committee.
If you have any questions, please contact Deputy Executive Vice President Kate Mahler, CAE.