The American Academy of Family Physicians’ national public service announcement (PSA) campaign continues in October with information about gun safety. The two primary messages of the campaign are to:
- Advise parents to teach their children the four simple actions to take if they find a firearm.
- Remind parents that firearm injuries are one of the top 10 causes of accident-related death in children.
The PSA urges parents to visit familydoctor.org for more information. Additional messaging includes:
- Firearm injuries happen every day, so it’s important to teach your kids what to do if they find a firearm.
- Firearm injuries are one of the top 10 causes of accident-related death in children.
- Even if you don’t own a gun, you probably know someone who does. In the United States, about one-third of families with children younger than 12 have a gun at home. Before your children visit another home, learn ways to keep them safe.
- In the United States, gun injuries are one of the top 10 causes of accident-related death in children younger than 18. Many times, these injuries happen at home or at a friend’s house. These tragedies can be prevented by following a few simple gun safety rules.
Learn more about gun safety.