Being board certified by the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) demonstrates your commitment to an ongoing process of keeping up-to-date and striving to deliver the best care possible to your patients and your community. Your certification means a lot! However, sometimes navigating through the Family Medicine Certification process to organize stage requirements can get a tad confusing, especially if you are doing it on your own for the first time. We understand and the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP) is here for you!
The following webinars are available to all OAFP members but will have specific information for residents and new-to-practice physicians. Continuing medical education (CME) is only available for the live webinars; enduring credit is not available .
ABFM Family Medicine Certification: A Q&A for Residents
June 15, 2021 | 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. | Via Zoom
Join an expert panel from the ABFM and the OAFP to get the nitty gritty details about Family Medicine Certification in residency. Hear directly from the ABFM on all of ABFM’s updates surrounding residency requirements as well as a panel of OAFP members with varied knowledge and expertise on the topic – from a program director, to current resident, and a physician completing their first 10-year cycle – this webinar will cover it all!
- Importance of board certification
- Difference between certification activities
- Tips and tricks through residency
- What I wish I had known/looking back
- What I’m learning now and how I plan to implement in practice.
For this live webinar, an application for continuing medical education (CME) credit has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 1.5 Live Prescribed credits by the AAFP. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in each activity.
AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
The webinars will be recorded, but enduring credit will not be available.
ABFM Certification after Residency: What does it Look Like?
May 11, 2021
Video (coming soon)
- Understand the purpose of certification and its impact on patient care
- Describe the stages in the certification process and activities within each
- Explain the differences between the Family Medicine Certification Longitudinal Assessment and the one-day exam
- Understand the importance of integrating activities into the work already being done in practice that impact patient care
- Discuss the best ways to review current processes and find a certification activity to fill gaps in patient care
- Understand the importance of mapping out certification requirements in order to have the most positive impact on patient care possible
- Discuss things to keep in mind when transitioning from residency to active practice.
Outside of these valuable learning objectives, additional hot topics our panelists will be sure to cover include sharing how to lower perceived anxiety around completing a quality improvement project, offering tips on keeping everything organized, and providing lessons learned from those a few years into the process.
If you have any questions regarding ABFM Family Medicine Certification, especially how to navigate it all after residency, this is a great opportunity to get your questions answered, to find out what the ABFM has been up to, and what changes have been made to streamline the process.
*This archived webinar is not eligible for CME.
Please contact Director of Foundation & Strategic Programs Kaitlin McGuffie or call 800.742.7327.