The OAFP Foundation is pleased to sponsor the following awards. Award recipients are formally honored in August during the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians Academy Awards Dinner, which is part of its annual Members Assembly.
Family Physician Mentorship Award
This award recognizes a community-based Ohio family physician who as a preceptor has exhibited exemplary qualities/characteristics of mentorship excellence.
The award recipient is honored in August during the OAFP Academy Awards Dinner, which is part of its annual Members Assembly.
2016 Family Physician Mentorship Award: Shelley Blackburn, MD
- A nominee must be a community-based Ohio family physician preceptor who is not a fully affiliated, paid faculty member of a medical school.
- The Foundation Leroy A. Rodgers, MD, Preceptorship Program family physician preceptors are eligible for nomination, but nominations are not limited to those program preceptors.
- Is an outstanding community-based Ohio family physician mentor/preceptor role model
- Provided encouragement and constructive feedback
- Provided guidance for individual’s career goals, career planning, and growth
- Helped individuals through personal exploration and identification of core values
- Provided a close, supportive, and collaborative relationship
- Provided advice and skills development
- Has been in practice for more than three years
- Ohio medical school departments of family medicine, family medicine interest group advisors, and medical students are encouraged to nominate preceptors who have demonstrated exemplary precepting skills
- Letter of nomination must address award criterion.
Foundation Family Physician Mentorship Award
4075 North High St.
Columbus, OH 43214-3296
Nominations must be received by Friday, May 5.
Individuals who have been nominated, but not selected, will be considered as candidates for up to three years following the year in which they were nominated.
Mentorship Award Recipients
2009 – Dr. Linda Stone
2010 – Dr. Rob Crane
Ohio Philanthropist of the Year
The Ohio Philanthropist of the Year Award was established in December 1997 by the board of trustees to recognize an individual or individuals with a proven record of exceptional generosity who, through direct financial support, has demonstrated outstanding civic and charitable responsibility, and whose generosity encourages others to take philanthropic leadership roles on a community, national, or international level.
Ohio Philanthropists of the Year Award Recipients
1998 – Dr. Tom and Diane Todd
1999 – Dr. Mark and Nancy Belfer
2000 – Drs. Ken and Vicki Bertka
2002 – Dr. Ted Wymyslo
2003 – Lloyd and Dr. Mary Jo Welker
2004 – Dr. Ron and Glenda Van Buren
2005 – Larry and Dr. Linda Stone
2006 – Dr. Ross and Linda Black
2008 – Dr. Elisabeth Righter
2009 – Dr. Cathy Bishop
2012 – Dr. Brian and Debra Bachelder
2013 – Dr. Sarah Sams
2014 – Dr. Renee Markovich and Richard and Carol Markovich
2015 – Gary LeRoy, MD
Award nominations for 2017 will open in early spring.
For questions regarding Foundation awards, contact Director of Foundation Programs Kaitlin McGuffie.
Nomination letters should include specific examples.
- Evidence of direct gift support to the specialty of family medicine, either through the Foundation or through the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation
- Description of the impact of this gift on the Foundation or the AAFP Foundation
- Evidence of encouragement and motivation given to others to take leadership roles in philanthropy and community involvement
- Description of participation in and gift support of other not-for-profit organizations in the community or internationally
- Evidence of philanthropic support of innovative approaches to solving problems.