Quality Improvement Summit
April 7, 2018
Hilton Columbus at Easton
Teams that choose the hypertension management track of the Quality Improvement (QI) Summit chose a track with a history of proven success! Participants will gain insight into the “Check it. Change it. Control it.” program, learn the benefits of a team-based approach to care, and the practice impact of setting an office protocol that supports high blood pressure prevention and control. The entire team will come together in a setting outside of the office and gain insight into each team member’s piece of the puzzle.
In addition, the selected practices will use the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians’ hypertension management QI module that has been approved by the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) as an alternative Family Medicine Certification Performance Improvement (PI) activity for 20 PI points and by the American Academy of Family Physicians for 20 continuing medical education (CME) credits.
Selected Practices Must
- Identify up to four members of the care team to attend the Summit on Saturday, April 7, at the Hilton Columbus at Easton in Columbus. Attendance by a physician or team champion is required.
- Utilize the hypertension management QI module to enter chart data, select a pathway of intervention, and re-enter data after five months of protocol intervention. View a video tutorial on how to use the module.
- Report the percent of patients diagnosed with hypertension that are in control as a baseline measurement and at a five-month re-measurement. This data collection will be required outside of the module.
Participating Practices Receive
- Complimentary registration and mileage reimbursement for up to four members of the care team to attend the Summit.
- Free CME credits for all on-site participants. Application for CME credit will be filed with the AAFP. We anticipate approximately 5 credits to be awarded. These credits are recognized by most national organizations.
- $250 practice stipend for completion of the module and baseline and outcomes measurements at five months post Summit.
- 100 copies of the printed “Check it. Change it. Control it.” toolkit and free access to digital toolkit materials.
- Access to QI specialists from CliniSync to provide assistance with data collection.
- ABFM Family Medicine Certification credit and 20 AAFP Performance Improvement in Practice credits upon completion of the hypertension module.
This live activity has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 5 Prescribed CME credits by the AAFP. AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association (AMA) as equivalent to the AMA Physicians Recognition Award Category 1 credit
If you have questions regarding this program, please contact Director of Events and Foundation Programs Kaitlin McGuffie or call 800.742.7327.
This QI initiative is supported by the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) and the OAFP.
Our Success Story…
In 2014, Ohio was selected by the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) as one of nine states to take part in a national Million Hearts Hypertension Collaborative to identify and reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease. Our strategy was to offer customized QI training to family medicine practices in the Summit County area with the aim of improving follow-up appointment rates of their patients diagnosed with hypertension. After a four-month change period, the program reported an increase in hypertension control rates from 69.7% to 73.4% and the percent of patients with hypertension who have a follow-up appointment scheduled increased from 66.0% to 68.8%.
In 2015, 2016, and 2017 we expanded this program statewide and 20 more practices joined the Million Hearts mission and again had tremendous outcomes.
“Check it. Change it. Control it.” Background
The project builds upon a two-part outreach plan developed in 2012 through a collaborative partnership between ODH and the OAFP. The project aimed to improve cultural sensitivity and communication skills among primary care physicians and a point-of-care patient information package for African-American men who are at risk for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The project was branded as “Check It. Change It. Control It. Your Heart Depends On It.” and the tools created include a physician guide, patient brochure, folder, and helpful tip sheets.
- Reduce High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol for Your African-American Patients
- Reduce High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol for Your African-American Male Patients