On October 10, 2013, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services granted the approval of Ohio’s state plan amendment which made $2.5 billion in federal funds available to extend Medicaid coverage to an additional 275,000 Ohioans.
On October 11, 2013, Gov. John Kasich announced the decision to move ahead with Medicaid expansion made possible under the Affordable Care Act via executive order. This decision was quickly followed by a State Controlling Board vote on October 21, 2013, to expand Medicaid from January 1, 2014, through Tuesday, June 30, 2015.
Because this decision was made by executive order, state legislators were prevented from having to cast votes on Medicaid expansion, something that many Republican lawmakers had hesitated to do for fear of having opposition in the 2014 primary election.
On February 2, 2015, the Kasich administration announced that Medicaid expansion did not need to be re-authorized by the Ohio General Assembly and reauthorization language would not be included in his executive budget proposal. The final budget will need to have funding appropriated for Medicaid operations.
State of Ohio Resources
Additional Information and Resources
- Medicaid Expansion States Exploring Cost-Saving (Weekly Family Medicine Update, October 18, 2016)
- Report Finds Child Uninsured Rate Hits Historic Low After ACA (Weekly Family Medicine Update, November 1, 2016)
- Over Half of Medicaid Expansion Enrollees Treated for Mental Health and Drug Addition Problems (Weekly Family Medicine Update, July 26)
- Ohio Medicaid Ends Year $1.3 Billion Under Budget (Weekly Family Medicine Update, July 12, 2016)
- Study Says Medicaid Expansion Reduces Medical Debt (Weekly Family Medicine Update, April 26, 2016)
Report Shows Medicaid Spending Up, but Per Capita Growth Slows (Weekly Family Medicine Update, October 20, 2015)
- Ohio Medicaid Basics 2015 (Health Policy Institute of Ohio, July 20, 2015)
- Kasich Says Medicaid Expansion will Continue (Toledo Blade, April 10, 2015)
Special Enrollment for HealthCare.gov Kicks off March 15 (Modern Healthcare, February 20, 2015)
Benefits of Medicaid Expansion Beginning to Emerge (Weekly Family Medicine Update, March 10, 2015)
More Than 234,000 Ohioans Sign Up for Obamacare (The Columbus Dispatch, February 18, 2015)
Study: ObamaCare Premiums Could Triple if Court Tosses Subsidies (The Hill, February 26, 2015)
Federal Analysis: Medicaid Boosts Kids’ Future Earning (Ohio Health Policy Review, January 16, 2015)
- Medicaid Expansion has Transformed Lives on Many Levels: John Corlett, The Center for Community Solutions (The Cleveland Plain Dealer, January 11, 2015)
Medicaid Enrollment Trends and Impact Analysis (Health Policy Institute of Ohio, December 8, 2014)
Fact Sheet: Background on Medicaid Expansion (The Center for Community Solutions, January 2015)